PhD in Science Education
A lifelong learning
I am a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Groningen, currently working on the EU Erasmus+ project STAGE (Scientists and Public Engagement) and the EU H2020 project OTTER (Outdoor Science Education for a Sustainable Future). I coordinated the project Women Scientists' Stories in virtual reality: a walk with Aletta Jacobs, and work as Science Communication lecturer, and master’s student supervisor.
I hold a PhD in Science Education, an MSc in Ecology, and a specialization in Computing Applied to Education and Educational Technologies from the University of São Paulo (Brazil). As a Fulbrighter, I completed an internship during my PhD at the Caruth Institute for Engineering Education at SMU Lyle School of Engineering (USA) and had the opportunity to get involved in STEM education projects.
I am an author of science/biology education materials adopted in the São Paulo municipal public school system and printed/digital pedagogical resources used in several Brazilian states. As a Biologist, I started my trajectory as a researcher in the Vegetal Ecology area. As an educator, I engaged at college in science outreach projects and at the Legion of Good Will (a Brazilian NGO) as a science/biology teacher (for ten years) in youth and adult education.
By the end of my master's degree, I started to design teaching materials with an inquiry-based approach. Since then, I have been developing experience in different levels and contexts of teaching (high school, adult education, undergraduate, graduate, and professional development) and producing research with a mixed-methods approach. My experience encompasses the design of learning environments/didactic materials for STEAM education/communication and assessments in formal and non-formal science education. My research interests focus in and out of school literacies, including nature of science, biology education and pedagogies for sustainable and just futures.
Sharing some words around
- RUG Library blog | Open Access Publication in the Spotlight
- Erasmus+ funding for Avraamidou and Azevedo
- OTTER project meeting in Budapest
- OTTER project blog post Why science learning is still powerful
- Keynote speaker I AM STEM 2022 Indonesia
- New paper The lonely heroine: portrayal of women scientists in films
- Research grant for the project Women scientists' stories in virtual reality: A walk with Aletta Jacobs (Rijksuniversiteit Groningen Incentive fund for Interdisciplinary Projects).
- Talk Imagining Sustainable Futures: The role of education. University of Groningen, Campus Frylsân.
👉🏽Archived | 📁 News stories